Down Memory Lane

| Saturday, February 21, 2009

Tis' old KTM building is still looking good. 
It brings back a lot of memories each time I drive past it....

It started when I was in Primary 3. I used to travel with grandma to Kuala Lumpur, the big city as I recall. Each year end school holiday, I was allowed a trip to KL with her. We always took the train from Ipoh to KL. Know why? Grandma usually packed as if we're going away for a year! We'd carry 1 extra large case (for her) and 1 medium suit case for me together with her medication pouch. The amount of things she brought along is unbelievable! 

I'll always get fifty Ringgit of pocket money (it was a lot those days - 1980's) from mom. She's always afraid that I would get lost on my own, and so I had this little pouch which I carry every where I went, with a Ipoh /KL home address, office & home number. Those days we do not have mobile phones. So she taught me how to use the public phones or anybody's phone to call home, it's still ringing in my ears, 'remember Lian, if you're calling home from your Kooma's place in KL, you must put a 05 in front.. otherwise, you won't be able to get to me'. Then, she'd make me practice in front of her.. 

Then me & grandma would board the train from the railway station in Ipoh, lugging along these extra large cases with their help, stuffed it into the luggage compartment. There was none actually, we've just got to put it near the exit, for it'll be easier to unload them later.. Then I'd always be wondering, how the hell are we gonna get these things off the train if Kooma has not arrive before we did! Well, most of the time we were lucky enough to have young men helping her. She's was a hot chick.. during her younger days! 

Mom & dad would drop us off, made sure that we've both got our seats right, before they'd leave the train station. Each time mom sends us off, I feel a pang of sadness. I knew I'm so gonna miss her and her bed time stories from the cartoon section of the daily papers.. 

The sound of whistle is heard.. The train master waving the tiny white flag, as a signal for the train to roll on. The train starts chugging slowly, the sound of it huffing & puffing and each time followed by a loud sound from it's chimney.. A tear rolled down my face. Waving dearly to mom & dad.. That was the first time I left home without them both.

5 comments:

~ beaber ~ said...
February 21, 2009 at 11:10 PM

reminiscence of our younger days ....

Life Spins said...
February 21, 2009 at 11:17 PM

yeah! hujan tadi - terasa sayu gitue! trus terpikir nak buat crita nostalgia skit =')

Samm said...
February 21, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Your Gramma looks pretty wor.

Life Spins said...
February 21, 2009 at 11:37 PM

now u know leh.. she used to be Ms.Greentown... =P
*hot chick*

thanks 4 dropping by! <3

Samm said...
February 22, 2009 at 4:24 AM

Hai mm hai ya................